Friday, June 20, 2008

Writing Progress

As some of you know, I've been trying to write a novel lately. It's a bit of a job: I'm used to writing short things, but it's hard to sustain a story for the full length of a novel. I've set my goal for 80,000 words, and that is a pretty big task.

At any rate, this is just a pride and patting-myself-on-the-back post: I passed the halfway mark yesterday. The plot is a little further along than halfway; I will probably have to add some material in the beginning. But still, I feel a sense of achievement.

The story is aimed toward Catholic young adu.lts--a rather small audience, but one that is really under-represented in books. I've had some encouragement to actually buckle down and write this thing, so I started it last fall and hope to finish it before this Christmas--hopefully by early fall, if possible. I'm hoping--hoping very hard--it can be published. Even if not, it will be an achievement and it was fun to do, but I want it to get out and be read.

So, prayers are always welcome. I'd better get back to work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are working on a story - I look forward to reading it. A poet, a Chestertonian, armed with Classics and Catholicism... oh wow.

I think it is splendid you are aiming at young people - there is plenty of room for that sort of thing, and a lot of adults (like me!) enjoy reading it too.

--Dr. Thursday