Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Philadelphia

So I went to Philadelphia this weekend. That involved a lot of organizing, and up to the day before I was still not sure it was going to happen. There was the VRE train, the Metro, the Greyhound, and a ride from a friend that all needed to be arranged. Not to mention lodgings with someone I've never met ... a fellow intern of John's. She ended up being quite nice, luckily!


The trip was kind of a whirlwind, because I didn't have a lot of time to be up there before I had to come back, but I did get some pictures.





My first clear sight of Philly from the bus.





City Hall. I'm not positive, but I think it's Penn on the top.

Me in front of City Hall, sitting on a giant checkers piece. The hat is from John--it has the name of his paper on it.


View from Kate's place -- a highrise dorm at U Penn. You can see this big cemetery in the foreground, and the Schuylkill River in the background. (John tells me it is pronounced Skookle. Who knew. The internet tells me it is Dutch for "hidden river.")


City lights at night. I took tons of pictures of them, on every setting my camera had, and it was quite interesting to see how differently they turned out.

It was a good trip, but there was a lot I didn't get a chance to do. Getting together with Dr. T., for instance--there just wasn't time. I also didn't see the Liberty Bell. So I'll have to go again sometime. Till then, I'll be content with the interesting parts of the city I did see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's the Schuylkill - (Skook'l, hee hee) - I live about 10 blocks away from it, but maybe 50 miles upstream from where you were. Hidden... well... I could tell you stories... hee hee

I thought that first picture had a curious shadow, I didn't know if that was from me (I am rather large, after all) or if it was the shadow of doom cast over a certain - uh - company. It reminds me of a big satellite dish. Hee hee.

Yes, Billy Penn is on top of City Hall - which is just across the street from one of the biggest pipe organs in the world... more on that another day. If we meet in Phila. we must go see it!

--Dr. Thursday

Ibid said...

No pics of John? I wanted to see if he had turned himself into a psychotic looking person.

Sheila said...

The odd phantom is my reflection in the bus window.

I had a picture of John and me together -- taken by John's long arm -- but John did not like how it turned out and so I did not post them.

Meredith said...

It's not every day I see Sheila sitting on a giant chessman!